Saturday, October 12, 2013

Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Vol. 2



Same "Pros"! Same "Cons"! Still worth it just for the Episodes!
Batman the Brave and the Bold: Volume Two

(Released November 10, 2009 by Warner Home Video)
Another Looong DVD Review by Joe Torcivia

Sometimes, these reviews just write themselves!

It's especially true when you've written a detailed review for "Volume One" of a series, and little or nothing changes in subsequent volumes. So it is for Batman the Brave and the Bold: Volume Two.

You can read most of the background in my review of Volume One elsewhere at Amazon.

Once upon a time, in the long-ago and far-away "Silver Age of Comic Books" (roughly defined by the 1960s), there was a notable series from DC Comics called The Brave and the Bold. It ran from 1955 thru 1983, and introduced us to the Justice League of America, the Suicide Squad, and the Silver Age version of Hawkman among others. Starting with its 59th issue in 1965, it became the "Batman Team-Up" book, pairing Bats with Green Lantern - followed by virtually every...

More Great Episodes from season 1
this second volum has more great episodes from season one on it. batman is still one of the greatest superheroes.

What I Hoped Saturday Morning Cartoons Would Be As I Approached My Forties . . .
As I find it only fair to the creators to review their work rather than how it's distributed, this is a review of the episodes themselves, not the marketing strategies behind their release. I'll talk more about marketing at reviews end, though, just to give the devil his duee. I have to go ahead and be honest: I love these episodes, but in the context of what I've seen before. Had I never seen Batman: The Animated Series, I'm not sure I'd be so happy with this series. Batman is nearly stoic in this series, always contemplative, often narrating through interior dialog, you know, we hear Batman talking inside his own head. The characters he is teamed with in volume two are, with the exception of one (Kamandi) quite manic and/or full of bravado bordering on manic (B'wana Beast, Green Arrow, Speedy, Guy Gardner); and one other (Deadman) is manic depressive. That being said, these are wonderfully real characters that have just as much (if not more) depth than what you'll see in any...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment